Thursday, March 8, 2012

Omg We’re Really About to be Parents!!


During the ride to the hospital, my contractions were intensifying. I was trying to be a trooper so I kept doing my breathing exercises learned in our labor class and that really helped me!  I planned to deliver drug and epidural free.  However, after the four days of torture, I was too exhausted to even try.  Initially, I was disappointed in myself because I really wanted to do this, but after giving birth I have to say get that dang epidural!!! 

When we arrived at labor and delivery at Northside we knew the drill because we took a tour prior to giving birth so that we wouldn’t be clueless once it was go time.  I highly recommend you do this as well and what’s more, it’s free!!  Gotta love whatever freebee you can get!  We checked in once more and we knew that we would be staying in the hospital this time.  I wanted to stay standing up and walking because that really helped me with the pain, but they had to hook up all of the contraction and heart rate monitors, forcing me to lie down. 

The room for labor and delivery is actually really big, well at least it is in Northside and you can have as many as 4 people at a time.  It’s important you find out how many people are allowed in the room prior to delivery in case you want more than one other person in there.  In addition, when you get there you have to put on a hospital gown with no undies.  I wore a sports bra under mine, but I know that some women feel more comfy nakey, so it’s all about your preference. 

My nurse Anna was super helpful and this was a relief because my hubby and I were clueless!  She asked if I wanted the epidural and I was like, “ YES!!  Please have the man hurry because the pain is getting worse!”  She understood and told me she would put the order in, but she had to check my cervix for dilation.  It was uncomfy and painful, but not as much because I was 3 cm dilated this time.  It was at this time that I brought up having an enema to her.  I learned about this in our labor class as well.  I told her that I wanted one because I didn’t want to have to deal with poop while pushing, yuckers!  Important note, if you want an enema make sure you let your nurse know this as soon as possible because you need to have this before getting the epidural. 

Now I don’t know about you, but I never had an enema before this, so I didn’t know what was in store!  Nurse Anna came back with this bag full of clear fluid and a long tube that had to go up my butt!  I looked at Jon like omg what the heck?!  He looked back at me and busted out laughing.  I thought I was going to digest something or they were going to inject me with something to make me go.  This is 2011, I didn’t think I would have to do this!  My poor Nurse Anna asked me if I still wanted to go through with it.  I debated for about five minutes and decided to be like Nike and just do it!  Well, I thought she would be the one to insert the tube up my bootay, but no, I had to do it, gasp!  She told me that once the tube is inserted then the liquid goes up my booty and that is going to make me have to go, but to try to hold it for as long as possible.  Nurse Anna also informed me to try to get at least have the bag of liquid in me to make it most effective.  I was so traumatized by this whole process that I didn’t even want to look at the bag because that was going to freak me out even more, especially while holding a tube up my booty!  It was not pleasant and I was trying my best to hold in the dirty goods.  I guess I don’t have strong sphincter muscles because after what seemed like 10 seconds I was about to go all over the place!  I yelled I’m ready, jumped off that bed like a mad woman and ran to the bathroom with all the cords and everything dangling behind me.  I made it just in time too or that would have been disastrous!  Tmi moment, but I just kept going and going and got a bit scared and I could tell by Jon’s expression he was too!  That’s when I heard him go out and ask Nurse Anna, “Umm is she going to poop out the baby??”  I just heard her laugh and say no, they’ll be ok.  Whew, that was a relief because I was thinking that this was going to be an episode of “I Didn’t Know I was Pregnant” with me having my baby in the toilet!  Keep in mind; I’m still having contractions during all of this. 

No comments:

Post a Comment